Friday, July 30, 2010

magnanimity can only proceed from the powerful

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a great article.

"If I sent my child to, say, The Sir Richard Branson College, I would feel like a feudal serf. Actually, I already do, so let me embrace churlishness by suggesting that British arts, education and public transport be funded by a properly graduated income tax in which those earning more than £100,000 would pay a good deal more than they presently do."
There are some great quotes about social justice in there too. I also found this review of Danny Dorling's book Injustice: Why Social Inequality Persists, which is so super-awesome that I am going to buy it right now from Scamazon.

"politicians in Britain and the other most unequal rich countries . . . have accepted and fostered the damaging idea that inequality is "unfortunate" but inevitable, rather than seeing it, first and foremost, as unjust."


"I feel very wimpy saying this, but I'm hardly saying, 'We want a revolution, we want a utopia.' I'm just saying, 'Can we be slightly less stupid, and we'll all be better off for it.'"
- Danny Dorling

There is an extract of the first chapter as well as downloadable figures and data from the book available on the publishers website. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your opinions of my opinions. Oh- and cocking fuckmouse.